2016-present: Graduate student/Freelance Reporter: University of Maryland / College Park
Recently published include: a profile of a white nationalist made prominent by Trump,
a feature on the state of D.C.'s marijuana legalization,
a six-part series on rural Maryland in the wake of the Trump election,
and a preview of a body cam roll-out by a PD recently under Justice Dept. monitoring.
2009-2015: Freelance Writer / Lima, Peru / Yangon, Myanmar / Washington, D.C.
Wrote extensively on Amazon and Andean travel, including a satirical novel about privacy, the rich and one man’s attempt to destroy his son-in-law while living in South America and SE Asia in support of a foreign service spouse.
2008-2009: Managing Editor, WEbook.com / New York, NY
Built and managed an editorial process for an online writing and publishing social network start-up in Stage II funding.
- Edited manuscripts selected by WEbook community for publication, including, crowd-sourced titles, and oversaw all design, layout, and copyediting.
- Consulted on all software development initiatives created to foster collaboration between writers in a virtual community more than 200,000 strong.
- Established standards for, and organization of, all user forums, developed rules for managing the same and trained all moderators.
- Acted as liaison between literary agenting community while developing an online platform to connect writers with representation.
- Presented to investors quarterly, and served as media spokesman for select titles.
2005-2008: Freelance Writer-Editor / New York, NY
Specialized in health, relationship, and sexuality editorial. Wrote for publications including Elle, Men’s Health, and YourTango.com on a range of topics from male fertility to the science of seduction and sleep deprivation, as well as personal essays on the gender divide. Contributed cover stories to Cargo magazine on various celebrities. Consulted for start-up webzines on editorial architecture, style guides, and story selection.
2001-2005: Senior Editor, Melcher Media / New York, NY
Managed all aspects of lead projects for top-tier book packager and publisher, from acquisition to selling titles into trade.
- Developed full editorial concepts for illustrated books, often with corporate partners, and executed them, directing all editorial and art, controlling budgets, collaborating with production, and managing clients.
- Produced book series for partners such as Harley-Davidson (their 100th Anniversary), InStyle magazine (fashion guides), and Nike (biography of Olympian Marion Jones).
- Helped conceive and support post-publishing marketing initiatives, including serialization, publicity, merchandizing, and promotion.
- Negotiated and implemented all contracts and agreements with creative partners.
2000-2001: Managing Editor, Impact! magazine, Vanguarde Media / New York, NY
Oversaw editorial, design and production for a 22-year-old weekly urban music and radio trade publication.
- Supervised staff of seven amidst a complete redesign and editorial overhaul that led to an increase in ad sales of more than 100 percent.
- Developed and implemented 12-month editorial calendar and maintained copy flow for more than 20 articles and music reviews per week.
- Managed all edit, art, and t&e budgets while regularly contributing articles and overseeing advertiser-sponsored edit packages.
2000-2001: Managing Editor, Impact247.com and LatinoImpact.com / New York, NY
Developed, launched, and managed two music and radio trade news websites and corresponding e-newsletters.
- Directed two editorial staffs (of seven and ten, respectively), training each in best writing, editing, and article selection practices.
- Assigned, edited, and oversaw up to 40 features, profiles, and/or reviews per week.
- Managed all uploads and weekly newsletter blasts in a proprietary CMS (content management system), including HTML coding when necessary.
1999-2000: Editor-in-chief, Nurules.com / New York, NY
Conceived, built, and maintained editorial architecture of a start-up urban entertainment website in first stage angel funding.
- Developed edit calendar and populated site with stories covering industry-related happenings and reviews in urban music, film, and TV.
- Managed content licensing agreements with syndicators, edited and/or re-wrote all site content, and contributed original features.
- Recruited writers and assigned all stories and music reviews.
Project editor specializing in heavily illustrated, four-color lifestyle books in addition to managing a licensed book series.
- Supervised book program for licensee Smith & Hawken, including development of editorial voice and graphic look of all S&H book, diary, and calendar projects.
- Managed manuscript development and all original and licensed art acquisition, from photo shoots and illustration to securing repro rights for existing images.
- Presented titles at twice-annual sales conferences and supported efforts of national and special sales teams, merchandizing, and sub-rights efforts.
- Negotiated all author, photographer, designer, and illustrator agreements.
1994-1996: Associate Editor/Assistant Editor, Macmillan Publishing USA / New York, NY
Acquired, edited, and produced a list of four-color illustrated books as part of larger backlist-oriented editorial group.
- Oversaw garden book program, producing approximately 10-12 titles per year, including those under Horticulture magazine and Burpee Seed Co. imprimatur.
- Purchased import and co-edition titles to augment existing garden list and acquired the occasional cookbook.
- Wrote all jacket, flap, and promotional copy and managed contract negotiations and author payments.
Planned and supported all aspects of media/author tours for a small art book publisher.
- Generated all press and collateral media materials in support of a complete line of art, lifestyle, and children's books.
- Pitched print features, TV appearances, and book reviews as well as booking and managing multi-city author tours.
Supported senior executives in planning and executing corporate media campaigns.
- Wrote position papers, corporate speeches, and press releases.
- Pitched local and national media on behalf of clients including Del Monte, Hiram Walker, and Bell Atlantic Mobile.